GFWC 2016-2018 Administration

 

In 1898, Mississippi women launched out into broader fields by the organization of the GFWC-MFWC and joined hands with other women in the nation in an effort to bring about a deeper appreciation of all that is true and beautiful in life by service to humanity.

Mrs. Fannie Clark Coleman, of the 20th Century Club in Kosciusko, had become interested in a new organization, the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, through articles published in Harper’s Bazaar.  She and her fellow club members discussed the idea of a Mississippi state organization and decided to call a meeting of representatives of all well-known women’s clubs in the state.

With hope and confidence, delegates from several Mississippi towns met at the courthouse in Kosciusko on May 25, 1898.  The constitution and bylaws for the new organization were read and adopted.  In 1904, it became a member of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, the largest women’s volunteer organization in the world.

As the clubs organized, chiefly for the purpose of mutual improvement, naturally the first work outlined by the new administration was along educational lines.  Scholarships were established in state colleges for deserving girls, books were assembled for traveling libraries to be loaned to rural schools and traveling art exhibits were purchased and sent around to the schools.