GFWC-MFWC Awards & Contests
Guidelines for Youth Art Challenge Contest
This Youth Art Challenge is for students receiving no art instruction from private teacher(s) or certified art teacher; teachers giving art instruction in the self-contained classroom would fall in this category. The students who receive some type of professional art instruction will be considered only if they have never had an opportunity to participate in the MFWC Youth Art Contest. This competition focuses on low-incidence disability students who are considered “self-contained.” Special education course codes begin with a 13. If student has all course codes beginning with 13, the student is considered self-contained. The low incidence disabilities that may be considered self-contained include: autism, deaf-blind, developmentally delayed, emotional disability, hearing impaired, intellectual disability, multiple disability, orthopedically impaired, traumatic brain injury, and visually impaired. This would not include students ruled eligible for special education services who might have an opportunity to take part in the MFWC Youth Art Contest due to participation in a regular education classroom.
Teachers and/or special education supervisors must be allowed to choose the artwork to be presented for judging. Every effort must be made to protect the confidentiality of the students. Personally identifiable information should be limited in any advertisement, newspaper article, or signage. It is important that parents are made aware that their child’s name and artwork will be displayed at district and state competitions. Clubs should consider a signed parental consent form to be sure parents are made aware.
District first place entries will go directly to state level competition. First, second, and third place ribbons will be awarded in each division.
Division 1 – Ages 3 - 5
Division 2 – Ages 6 - 8
Division 3 – Ages 9 - 12
Division 4 – Ages 13 - 15
Division 5 – Ages 16 - 21
- Entries must be sponsored by an MFWC member club.
- Each club may submit two entries in each of the five divisions.
- Typewritten identification cards must be firmly attached to the back of each entry. The label should contain the following information: Student’s name, Age, Division, and the complete name of the sponsoring club, city, and MFWC district. See example below.
- All work must be original, done within the last 12 months. Items previously entered in MFWC contests are ineligible.
- Any pastel or charcoal must be sprayed with a fixative or covered with transparent material.
- Dimensions: Before matting, minimum size must be at least 8-1/2 x 11 inches and maximum size must not exceed 20 x 24 inches.
- Mats and Frames: It is preferred that entries be matted or attached to a firm backing. Mats should be stiff enough to stand. Cover pictures with transparent materials to protect if desired. Do not use glass on entries.
Youth Art Challenge Contest Identification Card:
Click here for a pdf file of the Youth Art Challenge Contest Identification Card.